Cylinder Surveillance and Maintenance
DOE has a Cylinder Management program in place to inspect and maintain depleted UF6 cylinders, and to improve their storage conditions.
Surveillance and maintenance activities include:
- Inspections and general maintenance of cylinders and yards;
- Restacking and respacing the cylinders;
- Repainting cylinders to arrest corrosion; and
- Constructing new storage yards and reconditioning existing yards.
- While depleted UF6 does not present as significant a radiological hazard as other radioactive materials, it is a potential chemical hazard if not properly managed.
More information about Cylinder Surveillance and Maintenance.